In The Healthy Vegetable Garden, expert organic gardener Sally Morgan explains how to use natural approaches to cope with the challenges of a changing climate through principles from regenerative gardening, agroecology, and permaculture—all to help your green space thrive.
The Healthy Vegetable Garden shows you how to:
• Combat disease and keep pests at bay with natural predators, companion planting, and trap and barrier crops
• Choose the right plants to attract pollinators and pest predators
• Build a healthy soil full of organic matter, earthworms, and mycorrhizal fungi
• Regenerate soil through no-dig practices, composting, cover crops, and mulching
• Boost biodiversity through the use of crop rotations and polyculture
• Rewild your garden by creating a range of habitats, making use of walls and fences, log piles, water features, and wild corners
• Understand plant defenses and use biocontrols
• Make natural barriers, traps, and lures
A healthy, productive garden should work in harmony with nature to produce and protect delicious fruits and vegetables and build a rich soil that is full of life. With The Healthy Vegetable Garden, growers of all levels will start reducing incidents of pests and diseases while creating a verdant habitat—all without the need for fertilizers, pesticides, or weedkillers.