Much of what passes for non-dairy “cheese” lacks the quality and depth of authentic, cultured cheese. Yet for aspiring DIY plant-based cheesemakers, there’s no reliable guidance to what works, what doesn’t, and why, when making real, cultured plant-based cheese. This book aims to change all that and introduce this new and evolving craft into the kitchens of the world.
Written by a pioneering plant-based cheesemaker who draws deep from her well of experience, The Art of Plant-Based Cheesemaking is a clear, highly practical guide that extends traditional cheesemaking methods into the realm of plant-based media as a substitute for dairy.
In the book, Karen McAthy covers:
- Understanding culturing and fermentation
- Essential ingredients and equipment for crafting plant-based cheese
- Plant- and nut-based media and how to make them
- How to create and train plant-based cultures
- Delicious recipes for quick cheeses
- Introduction to advanced recipes for cultured and aged cheeses
- Resources for sourcing equipment and cultures
Packed with step-by-step recipes, straightforward processes, and encouraging experimentation, this book makes plant-based cheesemaking accessible for beginners and serious foodies alike.