The winning team behind The Joy of Keeping Chickens returns, this time with a complete guide to building and maintaining a root cellar (even if it’s just a dark and cool closet). This cheap, easy, energy-saving way will keep the harvest fresh all year long. Here, readers will learn:
- Which fruits and vegetables store best
- How to build a root cellar in the country, suburbs, or city
- How to deal with specific environmental challenges
- Storage techniques ranging from canning to pickling and smoking to drying
- Recipes for everything from tomato sauce to venison jerky
Root cellaring isn’t just for off-the-grid types or farmers with large gardens. Storing food makes good sense, both financially and environmentally. And root cellars can easily fit anywhere. In this intelligent, convincing book, authors Jennifer Megyesi and Geoff Hansen show how to make them part of every reader’s life.